Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Eve Afternoon ~ a little lady


The Eve of Christmas Eve. Reign and I made a turkey, "BOOKMARK [Reign called the uncooked turkey a shark] I love 2 year olds, love their perception on life, end of BOOKMARK" we also made a few more Christmas cookies and snacks to carry us through the Holidays [just encase] we were snowed in.

We did venture out Christmas Eve, afternoon to join My Army Wife Friend, and her family for lunch. It was nice to meet her family in person...

The "One" that tugged on my heart strings, was an elderly lady that was there; She has Alzheimer's. My heart ached for her... It seemed as some really did not know how to respond, maybe embarrassed; some didn't even know she was there. I just wanted to hug her and bless her... [crying as I type this] It was very emotional for me. I LOVE and miss working with the elderly. It does not matter their mental condition... I have a new respect for them, honoring them in their latter years. I have learned so much from this people group and treasure their wisdom. One thing that I noticed about her and others that have Alzheimer's [if they know Him] they DO NOT FORGET... Who Jesus Christ, IS. She referred to her Heavenly Father most of the afternoon. Lord, bless this little lady... (tears) deep sigh...

We made it home in time to try and shovel the MOUND of snow in our driveway. Snow blower is broken, Andrew had been up since three o'clock that morning shoveling snow for work. He was exhausted. Tyler injured his shoulder weight lifting, so he is in a lot of pain. Caleb tries and works so hard, and me... well, shoveling and my level of lung function just does not mix. We decided that we were not going anywhere to soon and the snow defiantly wasn't going anywhere, so we came inside for some Hot chocolate.. well, at least I had some hot chocolate! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Your family is always welcome. They were a pleasure to have, just as you always are. That 'little lady' is 94 years old and although to some her mind seems scattered and confused - she does have Alzheimer's - there are things that remain consistent, as you said.
    The One, Most High, True King, Jesus. He will always be on the tip of her tongue as He was always an important part of her life. Most days even her ramblings contain scripture or lessons derived from God's Laws.
    One thing I try to remember in order to keep this dear woman's life in perspective these days is this: While others are so busy with their own lives driving and shopping and rushing here and there to work and school and everywhere else, then comes the occasionaly, "Oh dear, we forgot to stop by and pick up Grandma at the old folks home!" If we take time to think about how busy we have all become in the chaos that is our lives, we would realize that dear Grandma who is 94 and weighs all of 85 pounds dripping wet has been waiting. She waits every day for us to come and visit, to come and take her for a ride in the car or to a doctor's appointment, or to get her hair cut. She has really just been sitting and waiting in the same place, since we dropper her off and hurried away last weekend.
    Thank you Lord for giving this dear, sweet old woman the gifts of kindness and love that have endured throughout her lifetime. Lord, thank you for teaching us, through her, patience and gentleness. It is through her example we learn that sometimes we just need to be still to hear your voice. Amen.

    ReplyDelete