Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Panel

When we were at the FRA this last weekend, there was a panel consisting of a deployed soldier, his wife and another female soldier. The male soldier and his wife shared how he has changed the most during this deployment.

Before deployment: He was very social and loved family gatherings. Since his return he is withdrawn from family functions. As he talked he shared how he would rather get together with soldiers from the unit that he was deployed with, than family or friends. As be continued, he shared about when they get together with family and friends at home; it is always a hundred and one questions. It is not just one question. It becomes several and then an entire story. He shared how it is exhausting to answer all these questions and he simply chooses not to enter into this situation. He feels most comfortable being with friends that share that commonality of being deployed. No questions asked, he can just BE…

I shared this with a friend of mine, for her it was no different when her child was going through chemo, one develops bonds and special relationships during that season.

Hmm… I’m not sure how Jay will or will not be when he returns, but I can identify with this soldier… It IS comforting to be around people that understand. I never thought this new Army life would open doors to so many new relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment